Believe in the sun, even when it's not shining

In love, even when you're alone

In God, even when He is silent.

Monday, April 27, 2009

A Whole Week

my mom, MiMi & PaPa
MiMi and PaPa at the deer lease for Thanksgiving
At my graduation ceremony for my Masters

PaPa with Gracie at a week and again at a year
Mom, PaPa, Lindsey, Patrick, Daddy, Jack, and Gracie at Landry's in Kemah - I think this was bout a year ago right ata bout this time of year
This is blurry, but this is about two weeks before Hurricane Ike last Fall. We were at Topwater Grill in San Leon - after Ike, no Topwater.



In the last couple of days, I have been wanting to write this post, but didn't know what I was going to say. I still don't. Aunt Mary, this is for you - for writing me and encouraging me.

A week ago today, at 5:15 am, we lost PaPa. He lived in the same house for all of my life, tended the same garden, raised the same beautiful daylilies, hunted, fished (and, trust me, you have never eaten a better piece of fried catfish - mercy, he could cook those catfish!) and loved all of us immensely - the kind of love you don't have to wonder about. My daughter had a great-grandfather for almost five years and given her tendency to "vacation" in Orange about once a month, she formed a strong bond with him in their brief time together...a true blessing. I didn't think she would understand much, but I was wrong. Not one day has passed that she hasn't mentioned him, so I know he is heavy on her mind, too.

I don't know how to really express the deep sadness that we're all feeling now because he was such a good PaPa and such a constant in a world that seems to get more circusy by the day. There are many firsts that will be hard on us all - his birthday is just ten days after Grace's, Father's Day, the holidays, etc. It will just be hard - no doubt about it. I'm at a point now where I simply don't have any more tears. I'm just trying to focus on the fact that after ten years, he is again with my grandmother, MiMi, and they're just having a big ol' time in Heaven. Some of you may know the song by Brad Paisley and Dolly Parton "When I get To Where I'm Going"...well, the thought just keeps coming to me that they're "riding a drop of rain". Maybe that's beacuse it won't quit raining around here - I have no idea. I know that a lot of people loved him and respected him and he was smart and funny and loved dogs just like me. He was an encourager and a stock market whiz. You're just gonna have to take my word for it - he was the best PaPa ever.

We were all lucky to have just spent Easter with him the weekend before. How quickly things can change...I can't believe it has been a week since he has been gone. I can still feel his little arthritic fingers in mine. I know he was almost 82, but it still feels too soon -

We will always love you, PaPa.

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your loss.. My prayers are with you and your family... I have missed you and now I understand why!!! Stay dry.. your poor pool, it really doesn't have a chance now, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Suz! I'm so sorry. Our prayers are with you. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

Show some love!